Zámek Žďár

History of the estate and monastery

1252
Founding of Cistercian monastery Studnice Blahoslavené Panny Marie and settlement Žďár, initiated by the father of St. Zdislava, Přibyslav of Křižanov, as well as his sons-in-law, Boček of Zbraslav and Smilof Lichtenburg, who brought his plan to reality.
1300
Hard beginnings – the monastic community lived in log houses while building a stone church, wrote a monk named Jindřich Řezbář in Latin-versed chronicle CRONICA DOMUS SARENSIS.
1458
The monastery comes into the possession of King Jiří (George) of Kunštát and Poděbrady, the descendant of the monastery’s founder. During the years of his reign (1458 – 1471), he tried to restore the monastery that had been plundered and burnt down during the Hussite wars.
1614
The monastery becomes private property of the Cardinal of Olomouc, František of Ditrichštejn, who had the prelature (the abbot’s living quarters) transformed into a castle.
1638
The Abbot of Velehrad, Jan Greifenfelsof Greifenfels, who is considered the second founder of the monastery, buys out the former monastery from Maxmilián of Ditrichštejn.
1689
The monastery is struck by a major fire; the St. Markéta Church is built as part of the monastery’s renovation.
1705
The head of the monastery (convent) becomes Abbot Václav Vejmluva, who invites a prominent architect, Jan Blažej Santini-Aichel, sculptor Řehoř Theny, and painter Michael Willmann.
1722
The era of the monastery’s transformation into one of the most prominent sacral domiciles culminated in the consecration of the St. Jan Nepomuk Church in Zelená Hora.
1784
Following a disastrous fire, Abbot Otto Steinbach of Kranichštejn asks Emperor Josef II to close the monastery.
1826
The complex becomes the property of the Supreme Marshal of the Bohemian Kingdom, Count Josef Vratislav of Mitrovice.
1930
The last aristocratic owner of the monastery is the Chlumec line of the Kinský family that inherits the estate.
1948
The former monastery, now a castle and part of the entire estate of Žďár, is nationalized (expropriated).
1991
The estate is restituted to the Kinský family.
1994
The Pilgrimage Church of St. Jan Nepomuk in Zelená Hora is entered on the UNESCO List of World Cultural Heritage Sites.
2014
The Zelena Hora is restituted to the Church.
2015
Inauguration of the New Generation Museum.

Items of Interest